We hear all the time that breathing in a polluted air causes respiratory problems like Asthma.
Have you ever thought about how indoor air quality can affect your skin and overall health?
Studies indicate that air quality in our homes is more polluted than outdoor air.
These pollutants damage the skin and may cause seasonal diseases.
In spite of using the best air filters, the pollutants in the air present inside our homes somehow make their way to the AC units.
Hence most of the AC brands today make use of Vitamin C filters in their AC units. It protects the skin and provides clean and fresh air to breathe.
We shall talk about the working and utility of Vitamin C filters in an Air Conditioner. First, let us understand how does indoor air quality affects our skin.
Common Effects of Indoor Air Quality on Skin
You must be thinking, “How does this affect the skin?”. We’ll move to it a little later. Let us first see what pollutes the indoor air.
Indoor Air Contains:
- Cigarette Smoke
- Dust Mites
- Oxides and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), i.e. chemicals produced by burning fuel sources.
- Pet Dander, etc.
When these pollutants released in the air, they bind to our skin cells and damages it.
Some of the Side-Effects It Has on Your Skin Are As Under:
- Dryness of the Skin
- Skin Rashes (Dermatitis)
- Acne and Eczema
- Premature Aging
- Wrinkles, Spots and Pigmentation.
How Does the Indoor Air Pollutants Damage the Skin?
- Red Blood Cells or RBCs provide Oxygen to the body tissues. When we are young, our skin cells get enough oxygen from the environment. Oxygen is essential to the health of skin cells. But these air pollutants deprive the skin cells of oxygen. It leaves the skin looking dull and sagging.
- Nitrogen oxides present in the gas stoves, VOCs present in cleaning products, paints, candles, room fresheners, etc. can have all sorts of ill-effects for your skin. They may cause itching, allergy and rashes on the skin.
- Dryness on the skin is sometimes caused by poor indoor air quality. It makes the outer layer of the skin drier and depletes the moisture. If the skin lacks moisture, it causes cracking and bleeding.
How Is Vitamin C Filter a Solution to This Problem?
We’ve all grown up hearing that Vitamin C is good for health.
It is suitable for teeth, hair, immune system and overall health.
Besides, it is a potent vitamin which improves the skin, fights signs of ageing and improves ‘collagen’ production.
It explains why almost all moisturising creams and lotions contain Vitamin C.
Mixing Vitamin C in an AC allows pure air, which is healthy for the skin. The air passing through these filters makes the skin soft and reduce stress.
Vitamin C Filters – Working
A ceramic additive is added to the filter to mix Vitamin C into the air stream passing through the AC.
When this additive comes in contact with the moisture present in the air, it releases Vitamin C.
Zeolite, a moisture absorbent, is also added which provides a steady release of Vitamin C in dry conditions, for example, Winters.
In this way, these filters ensure that our skin gets a moisturising effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the Pros of Using Vitamin C Filters?
- Vitamin C Filters last for a couple of years without any replacement.
- They provide excellent anti-ageing therapy and reduce the stress levels in the skin.
- It reduces the chances of skin ailments like acne, eczema, rashes, etc.
- It moisturises the skin and makes it soft.
- It has therapeutic benefits. So, it also benefits those who want to relax in purified air after a hard day’s work.
- All the split ACs can be fitted with Vitamin C Filters.
2. What are the Cons of Using Vitamin C Filters?
- We cannot fit Vitamin C Filter in a Window AC.
- These filters do not create Vitamin C.
Ascorbic Acid is stored with the additive, which is responsible for the release of Vitamin C.
The filters need to be replaced when they are empty.
3. What are the applications of Vitamin C Filters?
Blue Star, Voltas, Tesla, Midea are the top brands which use Vitamin C Filters in their AC units.
Also, you can install these filters as an additional feature in any split AC.
Vitamin C filter is also used in Air Purifiers.
4. What are the easy Tips to Improve Indoor Air Quality?
A change in the skin is one of the first signs which indicate poor indoor air quality.
You can follow these simple steps to improve air quality. Your skin will thank you!
- Keep the windows open for a bit. Let the fresh and cool breeze pass through your home. Don’t be a slave to modern gadgets. Sunshine and natural breeze cut down on indoor toxins.
- Oxygen-rich plants such as aloe vera, spider plants, gerbera daisies are some of the right choices which we can add to our homes. They purify the air naturally.
- You can install HEPA Filter in your AC unit to keep the indoor air quality higher.
- Vacuum regularly. It keeps the dust and dust mites at bay.
Skin is the body’s first line of defence against pollution.
In this article, we saw how the level of chemicals in the air could make this defence line unhealthy.
Maintaining good indoor air quality have a positive effect on the skin.
AC comes with various filters. Namely, Anti-VOC Filter, Catechin Filter, Vitamin C Filter, etc. to prevent you from bacteria and provide Vitamin C to breathe inside the room.
You can buy the best HVAC system for your home online, which benefits in a bunch of ways by regulating temperature, humidity and airflow.
If you have concerns about the indoor air quality and your skin, AC, which uses Vitamin C Filter, is the best solution.