Needless to say, how important water is to human life.
But, many of us overlook the quality of the water we drink.
We turn on the tap, fill a glass with water and drink.
Is the water you are drinking healthy and safe?
Is it free of impurities? What if the tap water you are drinking is contaminated?
Water is considered the simplest medicine to prevent many diseases. But, what if the medicine itself is polluted?
Though we cannot do much to control the quality of the air we breathe, we can drink safe water.
You can read our reviews & buying a guide on Best Water Purifiers.
In this post, we shall discuss the UV Water Purifiers and its pros and cons.
What Is an Ultraviolet Water Purifier?
As the name depicts, a UV purifier is based on UV or ultra-violet rays. It kills bacteria, cyst and other microbes present in the water.
But, it cannot remove the dissolved salts and Heavy Metals in Drinking Water.
Also, the dead bodies of the killed micro-organisms remain in the water.
Why Do We Need Ultraviolet Water Purifiers?
Water contains harmful bacteria and viruses which we can not see from the naked eyes.
If we drink this water, it may give rise to various water-borne diseases like Cholera, Flu, Diarrhoea, Nausea, Headaches and cramps.
Generally, Public Water Suppliers use Chlorine to treat such kind of bacteria and viruses. But, it is not valid on the Protozoa and Hepatitis virus.
Children and infants are more vulnerable to these diseases.
So, we require a UV purifier for proper treatment of contaminated water.
How Does a UV Water Purifier Work?
A UV purifier has a UV or an ultraviolet bulb. It emits UV light up to 254 nanometers. The bulb is surrounded by a Quartz glass sleeve to avoid direct contact with water.
This light affects the genetic core (DNA and RNA) of the bacteria and viruses. It prevents the bacteria from functioning so that they may not reproduce in the water.
In this way, a UV purifier makes water potable.
UV water purifiers kill 99.99% of bacteria and viruses from the water.
Is the UV Purified Water Good for Health?
We all know that UV light is considered harmful to the human body.
While using a UV purifier, you may fear that UV rays will come in contact with your body. Or it may cause diseases. But it is not so.
The whole process in which water is subjected to the UV light takes place in a closed container. It is done to make sure that the human body may not come in contact with the UV rays. It does not cause any harm.
Difference Between an RO and a UV Water Purifier
An RO purifier differs from a UV purifier in the following ways:
- Both the purifiers clean the water by different processes. A UV purifier uses UV light, whereas, an RO purifier uses membranes to purify the water.
- A UV purifier only kills bacteria and viruses. It does not remove any dissolved solids from the water. Whereas, an RO purifier eliminates bacteria as well as suspended solids from the water.
- An RO purifier with a TDS controller balances the TDS Level of Water. It also neutralises the pH Level in Water. But it is not possible in a UV purifier. We can say that an RO purifier is better than a UV purifier on the whole.
Pros of a UV Water Purifier
- UV purifier is the most economical way to purify water.
- It is easy to install.
- It requires deficient maintenance. You only need to get the UV bulb changed annually.
- It requires less electricity as compared to other purifiers. A UV bulb consumes the same power as consumed by a 40-watt bulb.
Cons of a UV Water Purifier
- A UV water purifier cannot remove dissolved solids and heavy metals from the water, which is done by an RO purifier. It is a significant drawback of a UV purifier.
Note: The bacteria and viruses hide behind the heavy metals and dissolved solids to escape from UV light. So, a UV purifier paired with an RO purifier is the safest choice.
- Excessive heating forms scales on the UV bulbs. It blocks the UV light inside the purifier. In this case, you have to replace the bulb.
A water purifier is the best way to ensure that you are drinking pure water. You can buy the best water purifier online that suits your needs.
UV is an excellent technology to purify water if you know the TDS present in water. Water with low TDS does not require an RO purifier. A UV+UF water purifier is good enough to kill bacteria and virus.
If you don’t know the TDS level of water then, RO+UV+UF water purifier is the best solution.