Today, Can we imagine our life without a refrigerator? Certainly not!
For storing the leftover food, keeping the veggies and perishable fruits fresh; for the scorching summer afternoons that demand nothing but a glass of chilled water to quench the thirst; a refrigerator is a masterpiece we can’t imagine to live without.
Once considered as a luxury, this appliance has become an integral part of our life.
The choice of a refrigerator depends upon the storage capacity, budget, family size, eating habits, space in your home, etc.
With so many options of refrigerators or fridges available in the market, choosing the best one becomes difficult. Sometimes you end up being confused with the tall claims of the brands.
If you are looking for a high-quality refrigerator for your home, then you are in the right place.
Based on our Market Research, we have prepared a list of Top 10 Best Refrigerator in India 2019. It includes detailed customer reviews, key features, what we like and what we didn’t like.
We highly recommend you to read our refrigerator buying guide located towards the bottom of this post.
Top 10 Refrigerators in India for Home – Comparison Chart
|Whirlpool WDE 205 CLS 3S||Single||190L|
|Haier HRD-1703SR-R / HRD-1703SR-E||Single||170L|
|Samsung RR19N1Y12RZ/HL / RR19R2Y12RZ/NL||Single||192L|
|Samsung 324 L RT34M5538S8/HL||Double||324L|
|Whirlpool Neo FR258 CLS Plus||Double||245L|
Which is the Best Refrigerator in India for 2019?
1. LG 190 L 4 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator (GL-D201ASPX.ASPZEBN, Scarlet Plumeria, Base Stand with Drawer, Smart Inverter Compressor)
LG’s Smart Inverter Compressor is one of the most advanced and energy efficient compressors. It consumes lesser electricity. It ensures minimum noise so you can place it anywhere.
It comes with base stand drawer for more storage to store the vegetables such as onion, potatoes and more.
It is another delightful innovation for your convenience that gives you unmatched performance, significant savings and super silent operation and many more.
- Its energy efficiency is of 4 Star.
- It comes with 190 litres capacity. It is ideal for nuclear families.
- Its shelf type is toughened glass. It can hold heavy utensils.
- The warranty is of 1 year on the product and 10 years on the compressor.
- It has a manual defrosting function.
- LG’s smart connect technology allows the refrigerator to run on the home inverter in case of power cuts. It will never spoil your food.
- It comes with a unique lattice-type box cover that maintains the optimum moisture level.
- It can make ice in just 108 minutes.
- Its antibacterial gasket keeps your food hygienic and healthy.
- Its input supply is of 90 to 310 voltage. It can work without stabilizer too.
What we like
- It will give you great benefits.
- It is a highly efficient and long-lasting refrigerator.
- It cools down within minutes.
- It comes with a beautiful Arina type handle.
- Its glass is transparent that is easy to clean.
2. Haier 195 L 4 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator (HED-20FDS, Brushed Silver / Dazzle Steel)
Haier is the world’s leading brand in major household appliances with the top class features.
If you have a small family of two and three members then, this option is suitable for you. With this direct cool refrigerator, food-storage will never an issue.
It can store vegetables and fruits for up to six or seven days without worrying about the taste and freshness.
It fulfils all your needs and provides excellent cooling performance.
- Its energy efficiency is of 4 Star Rating.
- It comes with a capacity of 195 Litres with fabulous design and useful features.
- It comes with 3 shelves.
- It comes with the 19 Litre freezer that gets ready your ice cubes in proper shape.
- It has a manual defrost.
- Its shelf is made of toughened glass and is capable of holding weight upto 120 litres.
- It is a direct cool single door refrigerator.
- It can produce ice in about an hour.
- It comes with a full wide range voltage (135-290V) design that allows stabilizer free operation.
- The Warranty is of 1 year on product and 10 years on compressor.
- Its fresh room is one of the parts of the refrigerator. It is an ideal place to store salad, green vegetables, and dairy products like curd, cheese and many more.
- It has an anti-fungal gasket that is used to prevent fungal infection.
- It comes with the big bottle guard. You can place tall drinks bottles here.
What we like
- It is highly energy efficient.
- It is easy to clean.
- It provides a door lock facility.
What we didn’t like
- There is no stand with this fridge.
3. Whirlpool 190 L 3 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator(WDE 205 CLS 3S GREY-E, Grey)
Whirlpool is another leading brand for large household appliances. It is a wide range of refrigerators with innovative technology that gives customer relief. It has a sixth-sense power cool technology that makes the most efficient refrigerators.
Whirlpool 190 L single door refrigerator has an antibacterial gasket which prevents bacterial growth. It has a high storage capacity and large crisper with honeycomb moisture lock-in technology. It allows you to store multiple items in it. It keeps your food healthy and controls the moisture.
- It has a 3 star of energy rating.
- It has a 190-litre capacity which is sufficient for four members.
- It has one year of manufacturers warranty and five years on compressor.
- It comes with wire shelves for maximum storage space. It helps to store large utensils with ease.
- It has a modern and sleek design and comes with the pocket handle.
- It can carry two to three bottles each of 2-litres capacity.
- Its defrost mechanism ensures hassle-free use of the refrigerator.
- It has a built-in stabilizer that reduces the cost of extra stabilizer and will take care of power fluctuation and low voltage.
- Its advanced moisture slider helps to maintain optimum moisture.
What we like
- It has a removable anti-bacterial gasket.
- It has a large freezing capacity.
- It has ample space that takes care of all your daily necessities.
4. Haier 170 L 3 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator (HRD-1703SR-R / HRD-1703SR-E, Burgundy Red)
Haier brand is renowned as a world leader in the kitchen appliance category. Get Haier single door refrigerator for your home plus office and enjoy fresh food every season. It comes with wire shelves that are spacious. You can keep your fruits and vegetables, dairy products, drinks and beverages on it. It includes Diamond Edge Freezing technology. It ensures better cooling efficiency in the refrigerator.
- The warranty is of 1 year on the product.
- Its capacity is 170 litres. It is sufficient for singles and bachelors.
- It comes with wire shelves.
- Its energy star rating is of 3 stars.
- It includes stabilizer free operation. Its heavy duty compressor takes care of the power fluctuation. It also saves the fridge’s motor from damage.
- It has a separate bottle space. You can store large size bottles and cans.
- It comes with a side door-lock. It keeps your meals safe.
- Its input supply is 135 to 290 Volts.
What we like
- It has a gasket located inside the fridge that protects your food from fungi and bacteria.
- It contains a Leather finish cabinet that makes the product scratch free.
- Its burgundy red colour looks elegant.
5. Samsung 192 L 2 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator(RR19N1Y12RZ/HL / RR19R2Y12RZ/NL, Tender Lily Red)
Samsung 192 L 2 Star Direct Cool is the Best Single Door Refrigerator in India. It comes with an attractive design of flower petals on the fridge. It has a sturdy box cover and keeps your vegetables fresh and healthy for a long time.
- Its has a 3 Star energy Rating.
- It has a single door with a capacity of 192 litres and suitable for families with 2-3 members.
- It provides 2 stars of energy ratings.
- The product comes with a warranty of one year on product and ten years on compressor.
- It provides a toughened glass shelf that can store up to 150kg of food.
- It comes with anti fungal gasket and also ensures stabilizer free operation.
- The product has one year warranty on the product and 10 years on compressor.
What we like
- It is an energy efficient product.
- The product is a little bit noisy.
6. Haier 320 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (HRB-3404BS-R / HRB-3404BS-E, Brushline silver, Bottom Freezer)
Haier is a giant electronics manufacturing company. It has manufactured the best quality refrigerators. Haier 320 Litres is a double door that is perfectly suitable for the family of 3-4 members. With all the amazing features, this product has made its place in the list of the best refrigerators in India.
The fridge section is two times bigger than any other fridges to store more while keeping food fresh for a longer time.
- It is a 3-star frost free double door refrigerator.
- With a capacity of 320 Litre, it can store a lot of fruits and vegetables along with normal food items.
- It has shelves made of toughened glass that can hold considerable weight.
- It comes with 360-degree cooling technology. It rotates perfectly cool air into the refrigerator.
- It comes with 86 Litres of freezer capacity.
- It uses Innovative 1 Hour Icing Technology that brings down freezer temperature to – 5-degree Celsius in just 60 minutes.
- It has a bigger Crisper than any other refrigerator. It gives you the convenience to store more vegetables.
- It comes with bigger cooling pads that maintain the optimum cooling effect for up to 10 hours even when there is a power cut.
- It comes with a twin twist ice tray. Just twist it, and all the ice will assemble in the below box.
- It uses Top LED light that is brighter and consumes less power and enlightens your entire refrigerator.
- It does not need a separate stabilizer as the fridge protects the compressor from power fluctuations.
- The Warranty is of 1 year on product and 5 years on compressor.
- It comes with a large cooling pad that maintains cooling effect for 10 hours even after the power cut.
What we like
- It uses the top LED light.
- It consumes less energy.
- Its 360-degree air flow offers uninterrupted cooling.
- Its cool pad retains cooling in the fridge for upto 10 hours even after the power cut.
7. LG 260 L 4 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (GL-I292RPZL.APZZEBN, Shiny Steel, Inverter Compressor)
LG 260 L 4 Star is the Best Double Door Refrigerator in India that cools down all the contents quickly. It comes with 4 Star energy ratings and ice beam door cooling technology that circulate cool air from the back to cool down every corner.
- It has a smart inverter compressor that is energy efficient. It helps retain the freshness of the food for a long time.
- It connects automatically with your home inverter whenever there is a situation of power failures.
- Its capacity is of 260 litres that means it can store a large number of food items.
- It has an anti-bacterial gasket that protects your food from fungi. Also, it includes moist balance crisper that helps in maintaining the humidity inside the vegetable box.
- It comes with a frost-free defrost system with a lock support feature.
- The frost free technology helps to prevent the formation of ice inside the refrigerator.
- The ice beam cooling function ensures that all the corners of the refrigerator are cool.
- It has three shelves that made of a hard glass material. You can keep the heavy container on it.
- Its shiny steel design comes with the royal handle that helps to open the refrigerator’s door.
- It utilises 2 CFL’s of electricity on power cuts.
- You get a 1-year comprehensive warranty on the product and a 9-year warranty on the compressor.
What we like
- It is highly energy efficient that will save 48% of electricity. As a result, you save a lot on your electricity bill.
- Inverter Technolgy makes it efficient and reduces noise. It is perfect for a larger family.
What we didn’t like
- It is difficult to adjust the racks when you place large utensils.
8. Samsung 253 L 4 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (RT28M3424S8 / HL, Elegant Inox, Inverter Compressor)
Samsung is the number one brand of refrigerators. It offers various types of refrigerators but, its Frost-free-double-door refrigerator has unique qualities. It has Power-cool function that will cool your food with 31% fast speed. Even, it will keep your beverages and eatables fresh all the time. It includes 4 number of shelves, 1 vegetable, and fruit drawer.
Samsung 253 Litre refrigerator has advanced digital inverter technology that senses the temperature and adjusts it according to the compressor speed. It is energy efficient and extremely durable. It is beneficial for joint families.
- The warranty is of 1 year on the product and 10 years on the compressor.
- It got 4 Stars on its energy efficiency. It will save a large amount of electricity.
- The digital inverter technology adjusts the compressor speed according to the cooling demands.
- It comes with an LED Display panel. You can control temperature settings, power on and chilling modes with your fingertips.
- It has hidden hinges and recess handles. It will enhance the decor of your kitchen.
- It has two ice makers. It is sufficient to freezing ice creams, ice cubes.
- It comes with an Easy Slide Shelf that is spacious so you can store fruits and vegetables or other grocery items.
- It has a door alarm. If its door does not shut well then, it will notify you after two minutes.
- It has a Moist Fresh Zone that prevents excessive moisture to keep your fruits and vegetables fresh.
- With the touch of a button, Power-Cool chills food 31% faster. And, Power Freeze makes ice 31% faster.
- It comes with Big Bottle Guard. You can place big bottles and beverage containers on it. It is suitable for saving shelf space.
- Its all-around cooling functions maintain constant temperature and ensure uniform cooling throughout the fridge.
- It comes with a toughened glass shelf. It can easily hold a weight of food material up to 150 Kg. It can accommodate large and heavy utensils.
- It has a built in stabilizer that protects the fridge motor from damage in case of power fluctuation.
- It has an elegant LED light located on the top and sides. You can easy to view every corner.
- Its freezer capacity is 69 litres. Its food storage capacity is 184 litres.
What we like
- It ensures limited noise and less energy usage.
- It is easy to clean.
- It is inverter compatible.
- The frost-free technology makes sure that no ice is formed in the refrigeration section.
- Its stabilizer-free operation gives protection at times of power fluctuations.
- It comes with Anti Bacterial gasket to keep the door liner neat and clean. It also protects the refrigerator from fungi and bacteria.
What we didn’t like
- The temperature control knob sometimes gets stuck.
9. Samsung 324 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator(RT34M5538S8/HL, Elegant Inox, Convertible, Inverter Compressor)
Samsung Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator is the largest home appliance brand in India. It comes with Digital Inverter Technology that automatically adjusts the compressor speed in response to cooling demand. It minimizes the noise and reduce wear and tear for longer lasting performance. It ensures better cooling performance to make more ice and chill drinks.
- The product has one year of warranty and 10 years on compressor.
- It has a smart convertible 5-in-1 Refrigerator that ensures twin cooling plus technology.
- Its 324 Litre capacity that is enough for three to four members.
- It comes with Inverter Compressor that is less noisy, durable and energy efficient.
What we like
- It has a cool pack feature.
- It is suitable for modular kitchen.
10. Whirlpool 245 L 2 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator(Neo FR258 CLS Plus, Galaxy Steel)
Whirlpool 245 L is India’s most intelligent refrigerators brand that comes with the advanced features. It has a stabilizer free operation that takes care of the high voltage fluctuations. It is one of the best double door refrigerators.
- It comes with one year warranty on the product and 10 years on compressor.
- It has 2-star energy rating.
- It has a capacity of 245 L and is suitable for 2-3 members.
- It has a frost free and double door refrigerator.
- It comes with antimicrobial technology that kills 99.9% of microbes.
- It keeps your vegetables fresh upto 7 days.
- Its chilling gel stores the cool air during the power cuts.
- It ensures stabilizer free operation.
What we like
- It maintains coolness and freshness inside the fridge.
- It gives a toughened glass shelves.
Best Refrigerator Brands in India
Types of Refrigerators
All the refrigerators serve the same function. A refrigerator contains a refrigerant. It absorbs the heat from the contents of the refrigerator and, transfers this heat to the surrounding area.
Generally, there are two types of refrigerators.
- Single Door Refrigerator
- Double Door Refrigerator
Single Door Refrigerator
As the name suggests, single door refrigerators have a single door.
The freezer box is also a part of this big compartment. It produces chill using the natural convection process. This type of refrigerators needs to be defrosted periodically.
It is compact and is suitable for couples and small families. It is cheaper as compared to the other types of fridges available in the market.
Their disadvantage is that they accumulate frost in their freezer compartment.
They are also known as ‘Direct Cooling Refrigerators.’
They have a storage capacity upto 300 litres.
Double Door Refrigerator
Here, you have two different compartments with separate doors. One is for storing food items, and another is for keeping ice cubes, ice creams.
It contains a separate heating element that prevents the formation of frost. Hence, they are also called ‘Frost-Free Refrigerators.’
They are available in the capacities over 400 Litres. It is an ideal choice for large families.
Based on the location of the freezer compartment, there are two types of Double Door Refrigerators.
- Top Mount Refrigerators.
- Bottom Mount Refrigerators.
Top Mount Refrigerators
In this type of refrigerators, the freezer box is located on the top. It is the most common type of refrigerators available today.
It is the most preferred choice amongst the other options. It allows you to keep the food stuff for cold storage and make it easily accessible.
Bottom Mount Refrigerators
The freezer box is present at the bottom of the refrigerator. Their upside down look makes them look fascinating.
You don’t need to bend to take out fruits and vegetables kept in the refrigerator. So, they are user-friendly.
One should note that these refrigerators consume more energy than the top mount refrigerators.
Side By Side Refrigerators
A side by side refrigerator is a slim refrigerator with side by side doors. It comprises of a vertical freezer and looks like an almirah. It comes with an external ice machine.
Side-By-Side Refrigerators are ideal for small spaces as it has a small door swing space.
There are some models that have attached water and ice dispensers. You can obtain ice and cold water from here, without opening the door.
The drawback of the slim-size is that it limits the amount of food that you can store in the refrigerator. It makes the refrigerator less energy efficient.
Triple Door Refrigerators
They are also known as ‘French Door Refrigerators.’
It combines both, the side-by-side refrigerator and the bottom mount refrigerator.
It comes with two side by side doors and a drawer-style freezer. It adds style to your interiors and has a large storage space to keep the food.
How to Choose the Best Refrigerator For Your Home?
A bit of caution while buying any appliance can save you a lot of money! You need to buy the one that offers you great value for money.
To ease your task, here is our buying guide to choosing the best refrigerator in India. Before putting your hard earned money into buying a refrigerator, there are a few things you need to remember.
It is one of the most essential factors that you should think about what kind of fridge you need for your kitchen: Multi-Door, Standard Single door, Mini door, Standard Double door, Side-by-side door.
There are different categories of refrigerators that look different and unique.
Apart from their appearance, the door styling, their size, capacity, defrost system, energy rating are also different.
It is one of the most important features you should look for in a refrigerator. Your type of refrigerator is the one that fulfils your requirements.
Every refrigerator comes with a different capacity. It depends upon the type of refrigerator.
A Single door fridge has a capacity of 50 Litres to almost 300 Litres.
Multiple door refrigerators come with a capacity in the range of 300 Litres to 400 Litres or above.
Number of Shelves
The single door refrigerator comes with two to three shelves.
The multi-door refrigerator comes with more number of shelves so that you can store the food items in a more organised way. Therefore, a refrigerator with more number of shelves is preferred over those with less number of shelves.
However, you can choose the right kind of refrigerator depending upon your needs.
Many of the refrigerators have adjustable shelves. You can move these shelves to make space for the larger items.
Defrosting is a simple way to melt ice from the freezer. Two types of defrost system are Direct Cool and Frost Free.
It requires a manual setting to remove ice from the ice tray. You can increase or decrease the freezer temperature according to weather. It usually comes in a Single door refrigerator that consumes. It uses natural convection to give instant cooling results. Its price is nominal.
Frost free is expensive as it melts ice automatically. It comes in Multi-door, Double Door and Side-by-side door. It melts the ice through an electric fan. It circulates the fresh and crisp air inside the refrigerator.
There are two types of refrigerator shelves.
Toughened Glass Shelves
Toughened glass is durable, easy to clean and long-lasting. It is made of tempered glass that can easily hold heavy objects on the shelf.
They are rust-proof and non-breakable. They are made of plastic and steel.
Inverter Technology is dominating the market nowadays.
In a normal refrigerator, the compressor works at a single speed. It either runs on or off. It consumes more power.
Unlike a normal compressor, an inverter compressor works at different speeds. It optimizes the cooling process and makes it efficient. It adjusts the speed and when the desired temperature is reached. It helps you save electricity. As the refrigerator reaches its stable temperature, the electricity savings are more.
Inverter Compressors save 20-40% of the electricity as compared to regular compressors.
Energy Star Rating
You should also check the refrigerator energy efficiency.
Always look for the BEE star rating. Bureau of Energy Efficiency or BEE rates the brands and models of the refrigerators on the basis of their efficiency to save electricity.
Refrigerators with 4 Star and 5 Star label are the most energy efficient. They consume less power. They guarantee huge savings on electricity consumption.
Please note that the cost of a refrigerator increases with the increasing number of energy stars. So, you can definitely go for a refrigerator with a 3-star label and has all the features that suit your needs.
It is important to protect the refrigerator against voltage fluctuations. A few years before, external voltage stabilizer was used to stabilize the voltage.
Nowadays, refrigerators come with a built-in stabilizer. It protects the fridge in case of power fluctuations. And, goes a long way in extending the life of the fridge.
Auto Smar Connect
Modern refrigerators run with Inverter Technology. You can connect them with the home inverter. It doesn’t require any manual settings as it works automatically and uses less power.
Whenever there is a power outage, cool pack feature of the refrigerator comes to the rescue. It contains a cooling gel that circulates cool air in the refrigerator when we face long power cuts.
Normally, the fridge to freezer ratio is 80:20 or 70:30.
Today’s advanced technology allows you to convert the freezer into a fridge. It increases the storage capacity of the refrigerator.
A convertible refrigerator is useful for non-vegans as they use freezer box more as compared to the vegans.
It collects freezer water in the dispenser and prevents spillage.
You must research a bit about the best brands and the services they provide. The best refrigerator brands offer a good after sales service on the product.
Tips for Storing and Maintaining
- Always wait for the cooked food to cool down before you stick it into the fridge.
- Do not store citrus or juicy food items at the back of the refrigerator shelves otherwise, and they will get frozen there.
- In case of a direct cool refrigerator, all food items should be removed from the freezer before starting defrosting.
- You should always use a light liquid detergent solution or synthetic detergent to clean the refrigerator. You can also use baking soda to clean the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Decide What Capacity of the Refrigerator I Should Buy?
If you are a bachelor, then 40 to 80 Litres refrigerator is perfect for you.
A refrigerator with 80 to 240 Litres capacity is ideal for small families and couples. If you have a family of 4-5 members, go for a refrigerator with a capacity of 240-400 litres.
Refrigerators with a capacity of 400 Litres and above are ideal for large families.
Do We Need an Extra Voltage Stabilizer for a Refrigerator?
Nowadays, refrigerators come with an inbuilt stabilizer that prevents electrical damage during voltage fluctuations. So, there is no need for extra voltage stabilizer.
Which Is Better – Direct Cool or Frost Free Refrigerator?
The direct cool refrigerator uses natural convection, that helps in instant cooling. Also, this refrigerator is more power efficient.
Direct Cool Refrigerators are less expensive as compared to the Frost Free Refrigerators. Direct cool is the Best Refrigerator for a small family.
Frost Free refrigerator is an ideal option for a big and medium family.
How to Remove Bad Odour from the Refrigerator?
A refrigerator is meant to keep the food fresh and prevent the spoilage of food by bacteria and fungi. Sometimes, the mix scents of the leftovers kept in the fridge make you feel ill. The blocked drainage system and incorrect temperature also add a foul smell to the refrigerator.
So, it is vital to clean your refrigerator to ensure its efficient working and a longer life span.
Wipe down all the surfaces inside the fridge using a soft cloth and a mild detergent solution.
After cleansing, keep the door open for a while to remove bacteria or smell. You can also use lemon, baking soda, ground coffee, baking soda or vinegar to get rid of the odour.
At What Temperature Should I Set the Fridge or Freezer?
You can set the fridge temperature up to 37 degrees. It is an ideal temperature for quick cooling. You can set the freezer temperature from below 18-degree Celsius to 22 Celsius for ice creams.
Does a Refrigerator Consists of an Inverter Compressor?
Yes. These days, refrigerators come with a smart inverter compressor that maintains the speed and circulates the cold air quickly. It saves more than 40% of the electricity.
Does a Refrigerator Come with a Beverage Rack?
Yes, a refrigerator comes with the separate water bottle rack that is useful for keeping 7 to 8 bottles inside the fridge.
Does a Refrigerator Come with a Separate Veg Basket?
Yes, every refrigerator has the veg basket that can store up to 21 litres of food items. It keeps fruits and vegetables fresh.